The Construction Association of Nova Scotia (CANS) has partnered with the Nova Scotia Apprenticeship Agency, NSCC, Nova Scotia Department of Education, Nova Scotia Road Builders Association, and Construction Safety Nova Scotia, in addition to local school boards and industry employers, to create a program designed to provide Grade 10 and 11 students the opportunity to safely explore careers in the construction industry.
Originally piloted in Halifax in 2008, the program has since expanded to include all eight Nova Scotia regional school boards and has provided well over 500 students province-wide the opportunity to explore careers in construction.
The program consists of three components; a competitive application and selection process, CANS Safety Training at NSCC, and a 5-7 week paid summer work placement with a host employer in the construction industry.
For their participation students can earn:
- Up to three full High School Co-op credits
- Up to 300 Construction Trades ‘Pre-Apprenticeship’ hours
- Paid summer work for up to seven weeks
- NSCC scholarship opportunities
- Safety training and certification specific to the construction industry
- Exposure to the construction industry and related occupations
Check out the below video to hear about several student experiences!